Monday, April 20, 2009

Leesburg Bakers Dozen - 2009 Impressions

Photo by Mic Dunn
Just a couple of things, most of them obvious:

Failing to train does not do much for performance.

My bike is finally set up the way I like it.

You can say what you want about clipless efficiency, blah, blah, blah. I'm sold on Vans and BMX pinned platforms for anything but fixed gear riding. My feet felt great all weekend.

My friends who were there all rock, but 'All SSOFT' teammates Kevin and Jojo were great! We all had a similar set of goals and a clear idea of placing fun above competitiveness, and we met or exceeded our plans. Let's do it again next year!

Check your lockring. Duh.

99% of riders on the course were really polite when passing me. I really wouldn't know about me passing anyone.

It helps to remember your water when you go out for a lap. Especially if your pump is the the pack with your water..... Fortunately I got through without mishap.

If you gotta crash, the way to do it is so you come down on about 6 inches of soft and dreamy pine needle fluff like I did, not on rocks and boulders like Jason did.

Doubling up the cycling shorts for the last three laps was a good idea. No discomfort at all after that.

Ergon grips and a lighter grip on the bars made the stutter bumps of the farm lane more manageable this year. Only one forearm was jelly this year, compared to both fore and upper arms last year. About the only time I envy riders with suspension.

Rob and Plum Grove Cyclery sure put on a nice event.

*Photo Credit: Mic Dunn

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

I had a blast! Great first race for me. (Many thanks to Rob and Plum Grove.) I used the Ergon grips too, but that tractor road was brutal, I guess the rigid fork did not help either.

Until next time....
jo

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home