Saturday, January 28, 2006

Fix 26



One of the things that intrigues me about the history of cycling are the old British clubs. A lot of them would host fixed gear time trials in the winter off season. A good description of the kind of riding I'm thinking about is mentioned in this article on the 63xc.com website. It is an image that is strongly appealing to me. Iron men on steel wheels riding against the clock across the icy fells and moors. No matter the weather or road surface, they persevered against the elements to the finish.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a racer, but I'm thinking about organizing something of this flavor in my neck of the woods. I want to keep the whole thing low key, so I'm thinking about one of my favorite local routes through a rural area, mostly paved but with some unpaved sections, and a fair number of hills, about 1200 feet of climbing over 26 miles. Date TBD, but edging towards early March. Rain, Snow or Shine. Fixed only. No organization but me and a clock, no prizes but bragging rights and maybe a pasta feed at Chateau de Hjalti post event. The first event will have a limited number of openings, but if everyone has a good time and it doesn't stress me out, I may make it a regular thing.

What do you think? Let me know in the comments or at:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home