Thursday, October 25, 2007

Parks Threatened?

I got an email today. Actually a couple. Some of those Urgent Action Neded NOW!!!!! ones. It seems in the arm twisting going on to drag Maryland's legistators into special session to raise taxes, The Governor of Baltimore, um, PG, Montgomery, Anne Arundel, Howard and Baltimore Counties, um, Maryland, Martin O'Malley is listing among the dire consequences the possible closure of 8 state parks.

I don't get the Imminent sense of urgency that is implied. Why do I have to get all hyped about it now? Yes, if the politicians don't screw us this week, the Gov might throw these closures on the agenda, but this would happen sometime in the next year, not the next two days. Ringing phones now might give the delegates the impression that we want our taxes raised, when who we should be blasting is the Gov himself for even making the threat. Send this week's emails to him. THEN follow up with your local reps.

I have to say I liked the letter one local rider is sending:

Dear Md delegate,

It has come to my attention that due to budget considerations, eight Maryland parks are under immediate risk of closure. According to my source, the eight parks are: Gambrill, Rosaryville, Greenbrier, New Germany, Rocks, Gathland, Washington Monument, Fort Frederick, South Mountain Complex, Smallwood and Pocomoke. I consider this to be outrageous. I have been a frequent user of many of these parks for almost 20 years, and I have seen the number of park visitors sky-rocket within the last decade. These areas provide wonderful recreational and educational opportunities for not only the citizens of Maryland, but for visitors from surrounding states as well. Many of them also contain monuments to the history of our state. They must be protected.

Additionally, the closure of these areas as parks would open them up to trespassers and vandals. The potential destruction of these areas and need for policing to prevent possible unlawful activities within their borders could potentially outweigh the price of keeping them open. I for one would much rather see my state tax dollars be spent to protect these areas, rather than police them.

I strongly hope that you will oppose these closures and do what is necessary to preserve these valuable MD resources. Thank you very much for your consideration. I look forward to your reply,


I would only change one thing. The last paragraph would read:
I strongly hope that you will oppose these closures and do what is necessary to preserve these valuable MD resources without raising my taxes, you bloodsucking leeches. Thank you very much for your consideration. I look forward to your reply,


In fact, I think thats what I will send.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The 'Big Blurry Guy' always has something interesting to say.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Brett said...

It used to be when they wanted to jack up our taxes they would threaten the helicopter rescue guys and ambulance crews. I guess we got to the point where that one didn't work as well so they have moved on to the parks. Politicians wonder why everyone hates them, just maybe this crap is why.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Blue-eyed Devil said...

I say let them close. Then we can poach them right nicely, ha!

F*ck 'em!

9:36 PM  
Blogger Zen said...

Bring on the slot machines and dancing boys!

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home