Thursday, July 10, 2008

Next Time, Pogo Sticks

I ran into these guys on my lunch walk today, and asked for a photo. The City of Frederick is testing these, and potentially considering more of them at $5000 a pop. Hmmm, two segways for the same cost as between 5 to 10 bikes. I say stick with the bikes. I also don't know if it is a plus or minus that these guys don't look particularly intimidating on these ("Quick Officer Dorky, down those stairs..."). Depends on the situation, I guess.

Speaking of bikes, I saw three separate fixed gear riders today, only one of whom I'd seen around before. Also one singlespeed rider (looked like a fixie, but was coasting)and a mix of other bikes. I'm still seeing the numbers of bike riders going up in town (but never more out my way). I keep reading reports of people buying less gas, and I know I'm trying to cut back, but I haven't noticed any less traffic on my commutes, either by bike or car.

Does anyone else who is commuting by bike regularly find they are less inclined to ride recreationaly? I'm, sure it has to do with the extra 60 to 90 miles a week I'm riding on the commute, but I'm less likely to go out for fun on the weekends, at least by myself instead of a group ride. Just something else to ponder.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Leta said...

The thing that I don't get about doing any kind of "walking" route on a Segway is that - for me, anyway - walking is easier on my back than standing. So they'll get less exercise *and* bad backs. Hmmmmm.

1:59 PM  
Blogger fxdwhl said...

yeah my 'fun' only miles have dropped way off after commuting became a daily excursion. even before we had our daughter weekday rides were pretty rare. still trying for weekends but not with as much determination as before.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Blue-eyed Devil said...

My "fun" miles have dropped a bit, as well. Just find that the legs aren't fully there when the weekend rolls around, and that feeling isn't particulary conducive to firing me up for a dirt ride.

It'd probably work best to bikommute only 4 days a week instead of 5, but that would ruin my record, ha.

Segways: the other wonderful thing is that they can't jump a curb onto (or off of) a sidewalk...meaning, to elude one, simple step or bike-hop up on the sidewalk and head off from there while Constable Cyborg is searching for a curb-cut.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home