Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Toxicodendron radicans, already

I've been spending a lot of time outside in the yard. One, because I like it out there, and two, because the more time I'm out with the dog, the more calm he is when we're inside. So, anyway, as the snow has melted (except for today when we got 4 more inches), I've been clearing the backyard trails of the winter debris and trimming them back. I'm moving into the area across the creek where I have made no trails at all, walking around and sort of figuring out in my mind where I want them to go. The far side of the creek is the real flood plain area and much wetter than the nearside hill. It is sort of a soggy marsh with tons of brambles and vines, some of which are amazing specimens of my nemesis , poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans). Somehow, even with my pretty close attention to it and wearing gloves, I got the first case of the season on my wrist. Curse you, evil ivy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

During the summer, at any given time I can point out at least a few clusters of poison ivy bumps somewhere on my body. It's almost always with me. Most of the time, I ignore it but when it starts to get out of control, I use the old bleach and water treatment. Can't say I recommend it, but it works.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Ainsley Wiles said...

Watch out for furry roots climbing up trees and such, T. radicans has very furry roots and you can get a rash from the roots. BTW I just got a new frame a custom King of Mercia and yes, I'm telling everyone.

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home