Friday, September 12, 2008

Fixed/ Free without a wheel flip.

It looks like SRAM is tackling one of my dream desires in the fixed gear world. A hub where you can convert from fixed gear to freewheel and back. In my dream, of course, you can do it just by stopping and flipping a switch or lever. On the SRAM you apparently have to dismount and turn a screwdriver a couple of times. Still, it shows folks are working on good ideas. The SRAM Torpedo single will have the same gear ratio whether fixed or free, but you could have two ratios by running it with the now fixed compatible Schlumpf Speeddrive for a two speed fixed free drive train.

If you want all fixed, but still want variable gears, look to the new Sturmey-Archer hub, a reworking of the classic ASC three speed fixed hub. There is a push to name it the "Sheldon," after cyclings late guru, Sheldon Brown. I hope they do so.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leta said...

Your hobby and mine in the same person! I met Sheldon Brown many years ago when I took a trip to Massachusetts to a production of "Utopia, Limited" that my friend Jay music directed. Sheldon played King Paramount, as I remember.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It seems like a fix/free invension of this sort is long over due.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home