Friday, October 24, 2008

Last of the City


So the Number One Son made the basketball team. This is good news for him, but sticks me with a block of time after work to fill downtown. I considered an extended happy hour, but decided against it. While the weather is good I might as well sneak in a bike ride. I actually planned enough ahead to bring my Quickbeam to work with me, so at 4 PM I started out for the the last parts of Frederick City with roads I need to ride. I headed west and climbed the hill to Hillcrest, to get a few cul-de-sacs. I came across a young lady in a stalled SUV transverse across the road. I rode past the three or four cars stacked up waiting for her and was set to continue on, but my conscience wouldn't let me before I helped her get to the side of the street. The other driver's consciences weren't as strong, because they just sat there and watched, but a couple of neighbors of the young woman cane over to help and we made short work of it. Then back down the hill, using a shortcut I'd seen on a satellite shot. One more development, this one with roads which were reserved in the database but didn't exist on the ground when I rode this section a couple of years ago. Finally, over to an alley that I had somehow missed. Children's Lane is the last street inside of the city limits, and it brings down to below 200 roads left to ride of the 4000+ I started with.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cory Benson, AIA, LEED AP said...

how exciting!
(really, it seems a bit weird, but I am excited for you.)

I am living vicariously through the sometimes mundane, but noble completion of an impressive goal.
-Cory

8:02 AM  
Blogger Hjalti said...

Thanks Cory!!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Jett said...

I had not realized you had that goal. I like it, but I don't know if I could do the same for Atlanta. I've been riding here for 30 years come March and still almost weekly I find a new road to ride on while passing lots I know I haven't gone down.

I guess I could start with small jurisdictions and then branch out.

Another list we're putting together is a list of hills in Atlanta. You've given me an idea.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home