Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Shifty

I've been digging through the parts bins to see if I could come up with a workable (and cheap) solution to my recent need for gears. Fortunately I have much junk to dig through. I've come up with a set of chainrings (biopace, baby), bar end shifters, and front and rear derailleurs. I even found a detachable derailleur hanger. I found a usable, if rough, six speed freewheel rear wheel on Frederick Freecycle, and if it doesn't work, I'll use the one from the Doi. After payday Thursday I'll pick up a chain and some cables and housings and add them to the stew. The only downside will be if the mountain(exage) front derailleur can't handle the 48t large ring....in which case I may be running a single front and six speed rear.....


Oh, and I turned the first shovels of dirt on the pump track. I'm starting with the bermed curves at the top of the slope. The photo shows a couple of locals watching the work. The test riding Princess already thinks it's great fun. I'm modelling it after this one in Stowe, Vermont, with a slightly smaller scale. I'll do the outer section first and see what happens.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Pretty cool idea, I guess you have some land? Reminds me of my BMX days. You plan on riding BMX on this yourself?

10:04 PM  
Blogger Hjalti said...

We have a couple of acres and no HOA to piss on our cornflakes, so its pretty nice. I have a BMX bike I'll be trying to pump, as well as the Quickbeam, and maybe my son's trek MTB. The mounds will stay pretty low, pushing continuity and flow and momentum over big air, but who know how it will develop.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home