Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Bike Work

I just decided to go ahead and retire the scary front wheel of a couple of posts ago. I didn't need the stress on waiting for the collapse. That left me high and dry for a 27 inch front wheel. I do have one trash-picked spare, but it requires an overhaul before using, and the rim does not have a bead to hold the tire bead (old school rims, yech). So I decided to try my 700c Quickbeam front on the Fuji. Other than having to drop the brake shoes to the bottom of their slots on the diacomps, and to adjust the fenders out a little bit to fit the fat 37c paselas, the wheel worked.

I tested it out on a Sunday ride back out in Green Valley. Worked like a charm. More phtos in my RR here.

Since I was feeling all wrenchy (is that a word?) working on bikes on Saturday, I pulled out the old Diamondback frame I had hanging in the basement. This was my first 'real' MTB bought when I lived in Texas, way back in '88 /geezer. I need a yard bike for playing on the pump track and I'm hoping this will do it for me. I found enough junk to mostly outfit it, except for a set of cranks which my friend Joe is going to lend me. I'm treating it like a Big Man''s BMX bike and not bothering to do a back brake, mainly because I don't want to dig out the old U-brake that was original equipment, or attach the big cheese v-brake plate I got when I was running it as a trail bike in my first try at singlespeeding. Look for more info after the first of the year when I have folks over for a bikes, bonfire and beer event, and lots of riding in tiny circles.

Lastly, last night several good folks came out for a show of support for more bike facilities in Frederick. 14 of us attended the City Planning commission meeting for the proposal to implement an east-west bike route through the city. This route will join the State routes which exist on both sides of town already. The meeting was long and boring, with us as the last agenda item, but the comissioners were supportive and favored taking the formal vote needed to move this forward next month.

Whew. Long post. Keep riding!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home