Wednesday, November 29, 2006

R.I.P Capt. John Ryan Dennison

The weather isn't as cold as is usual for this time of year here in Maryland, but the sky is a dark, heavy gray. I didn't know Ryan Dennison, in fact the only thing I see we have in common is that we both served in the 3rd Brigade of the 82nd Airborne Division, although about 20 years apart. Capt. Dennison is in my thoughts today, because his funeral service is happening in the church next door as I type this. I was aggrivated at the parking snarl as I got closer to work, and then I was ashamed of myself as I saw the reason. The walkways outside the church were crowded with soldiers, family and friends. An honor guard from the Patriot Guard Riders was also present. It is easy to be detatched and make judgements about the war and those who serve our country, but occaisionally we are forced to consider things more closely. I think that Ryan Dennison's story puts the lie to that coward who said "If a young fellow has an option of having a decent career or joining the Army to fight in Iraq, you can bet your life that he would not be in Iraq," just to score political points. By all accounts, Ryan Dennison was an exceptional young man and natural leader.

God Speed, Capt. Dennison, my thoughts and prayers today are for you and your family, as they lay you to rest. It isn't as cold as usual, but today it feels colder under the somber and leaden sky.

1 Comments:

Blogger David M said...

Hey, found your post today about Captain Dennison, thank you. On Saturday my family and I drove to Arlington to help do some clean-up...when we finsihed we went looking for his grave. There are a couple pictures on my blog you you are so inclined.

http://thunderrun.blogspot.com/2008/02/arlington-national-cemetery.html

I'm a novice rider myself maybe one day we can hit the tow-path.

Again Thanks.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home