Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Sticky


Even though there were thunderstorms threatening on Monday afternoon, I wanted to get out for at least a short ride. Watching the weather map all afternoon gave me the idea that a bit north of here in Thurmont would be a good place to ride, so as soon as I could escape the office, I headed north. There were plenty of clouds, and even the rumble of thunder, but the storms held off and I had a nice ride in the mountains. After enjoying a nice fast 4 mile downhill out of the mountains, I headed home. It looked like the storms were still all around, but nowhere near me. Not far enough it seems. I walked into the house looking forward to a shower and boom boom boom, out go the lights. The distant storm was enough to black out our whole area, and we didn't even get the benefit of the rainfall. The power was out almost all night, so I didn't get much sleep in the not-quite-cool enough bedroom with the windows open to admit the sound of a neighbors generator running all night. I'm not even going to discuss my trip to the MVA today. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you loose.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brewer said...

That's a helluva ride. How do you get motivated to do something like that by yourself?

6:59 PM  
Blogger Hjalti said...

Well, I love being out on a bike, and that is probably the biggest part. I try to gauge the terrain and and adjust the mileage to fit my (almost non-existant) climbing ability. Lots of little rides can be as rewarding as the mega epics.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home