Monday, July 30, 2007

Vacation

The kids and I went to Chincoteague, Virginia with my parents and assorted other relatives last week. We hit the beach and carnival, the pony swim and the wildlife refuge. I didn't get a lot of time to ride, but I did get out to meander around the island a couple of mornings. Being flat, reasonably small and relatively congested, the island is a perfect place for transportational cycling. There were lots of bikes and scooters on the roads, and most drivers seemed aware of what was going on around them. If we go back, I'll be sure to bring bikes for the whole family and we can leave the car parked the whole time. My Flickr set is here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Zen said...

Please adopt me.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Tarik Saleh said...

Pony swim, or terrified wild horses driven across the straight? I never have seen it, but in the photos they always look like they are about to completely loose it.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you got an opportunity to enjoy some R&R.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Hjalti said...

It seems to me that it is a pretty controlled event. The ponies are gathered together on a corral several days before the swim, checked by a vet and the ones to be auctioned are tagged. Any who are deemed not up to the swim are trucked across. The day of the swim they pretty much stand around for a few hours, then get herded into the 100 yard swim, then stand around on the near shore and finally parade to the fair grounds. Seems ok to me, but I'm not a pony being herded.

1:07 PM  
Blogger doc said...

"The day of the swim they pretty much stand around for a few hours, then get herded into the 100 yard swim, then stand around on the near shore and finally parade to the fair grounds. Seems ok to me, but I'm not a pony being herded."

So the only difference between the ponies and the spectators is that the ponies get to swim....

I had to laugh at some of your pics. We did this vacation last year, and other than a different family, we have the same exact shots.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home